Just writing about an Old Guys BJJ Journey.

Just writing about an Old guys BJJ journey. It has been a great trip and I worry if I don't write it down I may forget it.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

What is the benefit of competing in Jiu Jitsu Tournaments.

First let me say that I think it a huge benefit to all to compete.  I have several  very good friends that just don't want to compete.  I understand the anxiety that comes with competing.  I also understand the ego bruise that can result if you don't fare well in your competition.  I also understand the pressure building up to the competition and how it may affect your personality and of course I understand the hated weight cutting that is also associated with competing so with all that going on with competitions you may ask why I think it is a benefit to compete so let me explain.

1.  When you compete it makes you a little more dedicated to BJJ.  It does not matter who dedicated you are if you are signed up for a competition you will be a little more motivated to make it to practice.

2.  It is a good opportunity to see where you stand in comparison with others in your division, weight class and belt rank.  If you think about it this is not like running etc where you have no chance to getting a medal because of some of the top notch people involved.  Sure they still have age groups in other sports but have you ever been to a swim competition where they only have you compete against people your same size?  Belt Rank is a little different because even though most other sports do not have belt rank they do have novice, beginner and expert divisions which can differentiate the athletes skill level.

3.  It is good to practice the discipline it takes to make weight and get ready for a tournament.  I had a tournament last weekend and because of some confusion  on my side ended up with no one in my weight class.  (It is a long story but I they sent me an email and I thought I had a match but didn't)  I still feel I benefited by the preparation it took to get ready for the tournament.  Just think about how hard you would study in school if you were never required to take a test.  I think everyone in the gym benefits when some of the people compete.

Not just to give a simple way to deal with the above issues of competing.
Anxiety can be dealt with by just becoming more familiar with the competitions.  I still get butterflies every time I compete but the more I compete the better I seem to be.

No one wants to be embarrassed in front of their family and peers.   I can tell you all the team mates I have that have competed have received the utmost respect from everyone at the gym.  Maybe a family member or friend might not understand the courage it takes to compete but that is okay.  They have to understand that there is only one winner in your division and sometimes the other guy is just better.  No big deal.  That is just life.  In fact as funny as it sounds losing actually helps in this instance because it lowers the expectations of your friends and family.

You can be a little edgy before a competition and add cutting weight into the mix and you can be a whole different personality.  Last week I h
ad one daughter turn 22 the week before I had a daughter turn 29 and that sandwiched Father's Day.  I had to limit myself on some of those dinners and desserts that I would usually partake of.  I could not just sit around and snack with the family.  I felt it made me irritable and not very fun to be around.   I have to say that all of that was caused by me.  I could have chosen to go at a weight I would not have to cut for and that would have made me much happier.

I think you should try to compete at least every 4 months.  That would be 3 times a year.  I think if you do you will see a noticeable difference in your progression.  The difference does not really come from the few minutes on the mats during the competition but the hours in the gym preparing for the competition.



No comments:

Post a Comment