Just writing about an Old Guys BJJ Journey.

Just writing about an Old guys BJJ journey. It has been a great trip and I worry if I don't write it down I may forget it.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Jiu Jitsu with Friends

This might not be consistent with some of the things are wrote in the past on my blog but I had to write this because of the truly great time I had in Chicago with my JiuJitsu Team.

Let me tell you in the past mostly what I could see was the differences between me and my team mates.  I am old enough to be the father of many of them.  I have lived over 50 years and am on the back side of my life and career  and they are looking forward to what they can become  and have the future in front of them.  Some of them may seem a little more rough then me and run with a rougher crowd.  I don't drink, smoke, and have no tattoos and don't plan on getting any.  Outside of Jiujitsu we don't have a lot in common.

The guys at the Gym do accept me though they treat me like a brother and call me brother but sometimes I wonder if they should be calling me dad. Often I feel I am the Square Peg in the Round Hole around the gym.   They treat me well and we spar hard and shake hands and embrace afterward.  After practice they hang around maybe go out and get something to eat or drink and I head home to soak myself in the hot tub.  I am taking some Motrin to heal myself while they are out enjoying themselves.

So in December when they said lets do a travel trip, lets go to Chicago and compete I told them I was in thinking I would take my wife and family and we would have a nice trip and just do our own thing and let them do their own thing.

Then when about 10 people bailed on the trip and it was going to be a small group and my wife did not want to spend the extra money the airfare  and everything else would cost to get her and the rest of the family to Chicago to watch the competition I was now on my own with my teammates.

I was not sure what was going to happen.  We decided to share a Hotel Room because it would save some money.  I was up for that.  I have been married 31 years and have no problem sleeping in the same bed with someone.  I also travel a lot so I have some perks when travelling that some of the young bucks don't have like Free Breakfast, Free Internet, Free Snacks, Access to the Club at the Hotel and the Airport etc.  I showed up early got the room and then picked them up at the airport.  We had a great time.  It was like back when I was a youngster.  We bought a Rotisserie Chicken and some fruit and vegtables the night before the competition because we wanted to make sure we made weight.  We stayed at the Hilton and I got some extra breakfast coupons, so for those that could eat we had a great breakfast the day of the Competition and an even better one the day after when we could all eat.  As some were doing the open weight and we were all in one rental car so no one cold leave everyone who made the Podium that day decided to compete in the absolute.  We would be hanging around waiting for everyone any way and could not leave until the last competitor was finished.  Then after the competition we all went back to the hotel showered and went out for Chicago Style Pizza.  We had so much fun.  It was easy for the old guy to stay out late because being from CA the two hour time difference really helped, plus being amped up from the Competition.

I have to say this was the most fun I have had at a Jiujitsu Tournament.  The guys I was with agreed.  It snowed on the first day and it was one guys first time to actually see it snow.  Then the weather was great the day after the tournament.  We all got back and now these guys are super excited about doing more travel trips.  I am too.  If I can say anything to people reading this blog is if you get a chance to take a trip with your team do it.  It is great fun and will build relationships and give you memories and stories that will last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment