Just writing about an Old Guys BJJ Journey.

Just writing about an Old guys BJJ journey. It has been a great trip and I worry if I don't write it down I may forget it.

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Took 2nd Place at NABJJF World Championships

First of all I didn't write for a couple of weeks because we have been just swamped at work.  

Second I'm writing this at 2 AM because my neck is so sore I can't sleep.  

I thought I would be going against a Judo Black Belt but he moved to The Blue Belt Division so I had a choice to take the Gold or drop age groups and compete.  I chose to compete.  

My first match was against Carlos Reza.  I was hoping to avoid the grips but all that was thrown out the window when I found out he was blind.  What an inspiration to compete as a blind man.  The referee gave him the choice of starting standing or kneeling.  He chose kneeling so that is how we started.  I was able to get side control on him and his defense was very good.  Very mobile and strong bursts of energy.  He defended all of my submission attempts and the match ended 5-0 in my favor.  He was an excellent player and I had the utmost respect for him.  The match could have gone either way. 

Then came the finals match. I went against a gentleman named Jaun Avena. I thought I had the take down as I was deep on a double leg but he guillotined me.  It was very tight and actually cut my ear but I was able to fight out of it.  He was very strong and spent most of the match controlling me with a head lock.  I thought I had his back but somehow he rolled through got me in an armbar and I tapped. I think if I could have just created some space I would gave been okay but he was able to control me and keep my posture broken with his string headlock.  I was ahead on points with when I tapped. 

I am thinking I should buy stock in Motrin because that is what I'm going to need to take to get to sleep. 

We had 6 people from Higher Ground BJJ compete it was great comraderie and I'm looking forward to competing again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment