Just writing about an Old Guys BJJ Journey.

Just writing about an Old guys BJJ journey. It has been a great trip and I worry if I don't write it down I may forget it.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Had to stop sparring last night.

We have a long class on Tuesday.  We do an hour of drilling then 1/2 hour of warm up/conditioning and then 45 minutes of technique and another 45 minutes of rolling.

The Professor/Instructor was a Black Belt who substitutes sometimes.  He is from the Police Department and many of his moves he shows are what he calls Pain Compliant.  The point of the move is that they are just painful so they make you want to comply with the Choke etc just to stop the pain from the move.

The Class is run a little differently when he substitutes and I really look forward to attending when he teaches.  Last night we went over chokes from the mount.  He taught us 4 very good ones that were very strong chokes.  Mostly blood chokes and not air chokes.  We used the pain compliance methods to get them to move an arm or hand so we could get to the carotid artery to apply the choke.  As a good sparring partner does I blocked the move and allowed my partner to use some pain compliance before administering the choke.  I found that after an hour of this I was getting pretty light headed.  I should have sat out warm up and conditioning but was too stubborn for that and kept going.  Then we did another 45 minutes of chokes.  I was already dizzy and having headaches before the sparring started.  We were going 8 minute rounds and then at the end of my first round I took a knee to the head (on accident I was trying to pass his guard and he was trying to recover his guard and caught me).  Then my next round I was just gassed.  Not sure where I was even at.

I took off the last  3 rounds of sparring.

My question is, do you think if you are drilling chokes for that long that you go into some kind of oxygen debt and it causes your body to shut down.  Just like when you cross your VO2 max and you start to build up lactic acid in your muscles?  Is this a real thing or was I just tired from training so much.    Just trying to figure it out for next time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment