Just writing about an Old Guys BJJ Journey.

Just writing about an Old guys BJJ journey. It has been a great trip and I worry if I don't write it down I may forget it.

Monday, March 16, 2015

Pan Ams are over and I have to say the cutting weight was worth it.  All those posts I wrote about cutting weight being silly and not worth it were wrong. (in my case anyway)  When you get to compete with guys who are a little bit smaller then you instead of a little bit bigger then you it makes a world of difference.  (I know this is not brain surgery but I really did not know how significant the weight factor was until I competed at the  lower weight).

My normal weight is in the low 170s and with Gi about 175-178.  I have always competed at Middle Weight as a white belt and did fairly well but every once in a while I went against a beast who no matter how hard I tried, my technique could not overcome their physical strength.  I was promoted to Blue Belt in December so I decided I should drop to light weight for Pans so I would not have to face guys both technically better and stronger then  me.  I made the weight drop and now I was the beast in the weight class.

I have to say it was very enjoyable and even after the matches I did not feel the same amount of strain on my body that I felt as a middle weight.

One funny thing happened my instructor did not have his credentials in order so could not get on the floor for my first match so his instructor Xande Ribeiro stepped in to Coach me.  Pretty good substitute if you ask me.  If the final I had Saulo, Xande, Fabrio, and my instructor (Sean) all on the mat side coaching me.  Plus I had Dan Lukeheart giving me some instruction also.  It was an anti Climatic Final going to referee decision but I wonder if having all those big names in my corner helped me when it came time for the decision to be made.

I met a ton of friend that I knew from Facebook and Instagram and I have to say the BJJ community is really one group of good guys that really seem to enjoy being around each other.

The journey continues.  I really like this Picture of Xande and I after my first match.


No comments:

Post a Comment