Just writing about an Old Guys BJJ Journey.

Just writing about an Old guys BJJ journey. It has been a great trip and I worry if I don't write it down I may forget it.

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Winning Pan Am's is like winning the lottery.

So I won Pan Am's.  I know that does not make me any better then I was two weeks ago.  In fact I won on a Referee Decision so if the Referee had a cramp in his left arm and lifted his right arm instead the other guy would have won.

I did not win in dominating fashion.  Just got by and got the win in my matches.  The surprising thing is how many people think this makes me a better Jiujitsu Player then I was two weeks ago.  I have a lot of friends on Facebook and a good number of them are involved in BJJ so I got a lot of pats on the back and congratulatory remarks after my win.  I had a couple of good Photo Ops with some well known JiuJitsu Stars like Xande Ribeiro.  So I didn't even say anything when I went to train and I got a lot of accolades when I showed up because it seemed everyone knew I had won.

I have sparred at my regular places since then and two other places while I was travelling. (so 4 different places)  It seemed like when I showed up I was now the new target to be beat on.  I remember how much harder people went with me when I became a Blue Belt and the same thing is happening now.  I am getting my butt kicked almost every single roll.  I am not sure I needed to be humbled but it is sure happening.  It seems a memo must have went out saying that this guy is a Pan Am Champion so beat on him.  I have not sparred with a White Belt since then.  I have sparred with young, athletic blue belts and higher belts.  These guys could have easily worked me over before but now that they are going harder they are really working me over.  I mean I am getting Bicep Sliced, Calf Sliced, Wrist Locked, Arm Barred in ways I never knew existed and Choked from places I never knew you could choke from.

I wonder how long it is going to take these guys to realize I am still the same old guy (emphasis on old) and that they could and can always work me over if they go hard.  I like to keep it playful and work on technique  so hopefully the guys rolling with me will get back in that mode so we both can progress.  Until then I will continue to take my lumps and I will remember the advice of a friend who won the lottery who told me "if you win the lottery don't tell anyone or they will start to change the way they act toward you" I now know if I win a big Tournament again it might be best to keep it to myself so I don't have to get beat down like I am right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment