Just writing about an Old Guys BJJ Journey.

Just writing about an Old guys BJJ journey. It has been a great trip and I worry if I don't write it down I may forget it.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Post World Championship Report

I know it has been a couple of weeks since Worlds were finished but I have some stuff I have been thinking about since before then and  I am just finding time to get around to putting it to my blog.

First as a disclaimer I have only been doing Jiujitsu for about 3 1/2 years.  I have been involved in athletics since I was young and have been around swimming the last 20 years supporting my Children and before that I competed in other sports.  What I want to say may seem to go in the face of many of the Top BJJ Schools and Pre Competition Philosophy.

Why do BJJ schools up the intensity of practices on the days leading up to Worlds and I see that many of the Top Schools have Hell Week leading up to the Big Tournaments.  I do not understand this concept of working really hard leading up to a big competition.  It seems to me that it only increases the chance for injury or fatigue before a major competition.

You are not getting better cardio in the few days leading up to the competition, you most likely will not be learning a new move that you can perfect to pull off against a tough opponent and it seems like to me there is only downside to working really hard right before you compete.  Maintaining weight and/or cutting weight and you need to break a sweat that I understand.  Dan at Brea Jiujitsu had a group of competitors there and he turned up the heat piped in competition sounds during the rolls and generally encouraged all to roll hard.

It seems like to me that if they went in with the Taper Mind set like they use in swimming, cycling, and even football and wrestling where they just do walk through type of training leading up to the competition to keep you fresh and reduce the chance of injury your chances of performing at a high level would be increased.  I think too many people in Jiujitsu over train before a big tournament and it causes them to not be able to give their optimum effort.  

Here is a little bit about what Dan is doing at Brea Jiujitsu.

Dan  has invited many people through Reddit and other Social Media places to come stay at his academy as a staging area before major competitions.  There were a dozen or so before Pans and then a lot of people before Worlds.  This has been a huge success and he had almost 25 people there one night and over 40 people on the mats training.   I train at Brea a few nights a week as it is very near my home I still train at the place I started but because of my schedule I cannot get there many days so Dan allows me to train at Brea even though I represent another school at Tournaments.  Dan is just a great guy who loves BJJ .  So it was packed over there the few days leading up to Worlds.  They had many top notch competitors there many from the Cicero Costha Group.  It is amazing to watch them train.  Even after they left I can tell that the intensity of the rolls has remained and these competitors have opened many eyes of those that sparred with them just what Jiujitsu is capable of.  I was able to take a few of them out to eat have them come over to the house for dinner  and take them back and forth from the Airport so I was able to spend some time with them. .  (I picked up the Miyao Brothers at the Airport Thursday night and then was at  Joao's Seminar the next Monday).  All these guys really train at a different level.  They told me when we were at dinner they train 3 times a day for about 2 1/2 hours and train 6-7 days a week.  I follow these guys on Instagram and they seem to be at a Tournament almost every week.  They are young guys who are following a dream and very appreciative of any help they can get.  Just watching them train motivates me and others who saw them to train harder.   I can't help to think that out of the 4-5 Purple and Blue Belt competiors that I was able to roll with and then take out to eat that one day they will be the next Miyao or Mendez. (they train with Miyao so they know where they need to be.    It was just a great opportunity for me and hopefully for the many others they came in contact with during their stay in the USA to meet these BJJ competitors.




No comments:

Post a Comment