Just writing about an Old Guys BJJ Journey.

Just writing about an Old guys BJJ journey. It has been a great trip and I worry if I don't write it down I may forget it.

Thursday, September 1, 2016

Recap from Master's Worlds.

I know it has been a while since I posted.  I have been busy with work and training for Master Worlds.

The first thing I want to say is that Master Worlds is no joke.  Every year it gets more and more difficult to compete there.  Of course every year we get older and older but that is not what I mean.  I mean that every year the level of competition steps up to a higher level.  If you would have told me a week ago that I would get the same medal as Xande Riberio, Clark Gracie, Cicero Costha and place higher then Samuel Braga I would be sure it going to be a Gold Medal but I ended up with a Bronze just like some of those big names listed above.

I think Master Worlds will soon pass Regular Worlds as a Jiujitsu Draw.  The reason behind this is I think that this is an opportunity for many Professors to be able to compete at a Tournament with their Students and have a chance to show what they got despite their age.  There is no way that most of these guys could compete in an Adult Division.  I also really see the Camaraderie at this tournament that I don't see at any other tournament.  I think it is a combination of having  many athletes from each team combined with the Venue that allows the friends of the fans to really cheer for their teammates, family and friends.  I have to say to watch the big names it is much easier in a big venue like UCI or the Pyramid in Long Beach for everyone to see what is going on but the seats are so far from the mats that it is very difficult to get up close to watch your team mate fight.



Also the change to put the Black Belts Master 1 and 2 on Day 1 and    Black Belts Master 3-6 on Day 2 will make this tournament much more appealing to Black Belts who can get their matches out of the way and then party in Vegas or Coach their athletes or do what ever they want.  I think they will keep this format and it might not be what the Older Blue Belts want who used to be Day 1 but I don't think IBJJF really cares to much about what the Old Blue Belts Want.

I also see many of the older guys really stepping up their training to attend this tournament.  My Buddy is a Feather Weight Purple Belt Master 3 and had to win 5 matches to win his division.  That is crazy that a 40+ year old would need to win 5 matches to win.  I think for the most part after 3 matches the rest is just grit and cardio and a lot of the technique you have prepared goes  out the window.  Of course maybe if my technique was better I would not think this way.  I saw some Master 5 guys with 8  packs and almost all the guys I saw were in shape.  I did not see a lot of guys that just seemed to be there for the party.  They all seemed ready to compete.  Just to show how competitive Masters 5 was the guy who won Master 5 light weight last year did not even medal this year and he dominated the division last year.

Jiu Jitsu is growing.  It is growing among the kids (my grandson is 4 and got his 2nd stripe on his white belt Tuesday) and it is growing among the older people to.  People are finding it a way to be active and keep fit while enjoying the great socializing that seems to cross all boundaries or age, race etc.  I met a guy from Arkansas who was a 69 year old Blue Belt competing in Masters 6.  I met at least 10 people over 60 years old.  I met people from Norway, Venezuela, Japan, Singapore, Sweden, etc that where there competing.  I have to say this tournament is only going to get bigger and more competitive.  This is really what Jiujitsu is all about.


No comments:

Post a Comment