Just writing about an Old Guys BJJ Journey.

Just writing about an Old guys BJJ journey. It has been a great trip and I worry if I don't write it down I may forget it.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

I love BJJ

It is truly an addiction for me.  Sorry if I sometimes comes across as negative or complaining.  That is not my purpose.  I think part of it is being older and always being sore.  My wife and others wonder why I put myself through this but it is for the love or the sport and the camaraderie of the participants.

Yesterday I was able to work out with a very experienced Brown Belt.  He is a guy who is a Hobbyist (His words not mine) but really loves BJJ and has a game that is very unusual compared to most.  He is very methodical and opportunistic and will catch you in all kinds of things.  Wrist Locks, Knee Bars, Crucifix, and all kinds of chokes.  He usually very little strength and pressure with me.  (I have seen him spar with the other higher belts and they give him a run for his money but he always seems to be able to catch then in some tricky move that they are not aware of.

He was very good to let me work all the chokes when we drilled and corrected me multiple times so I could get it right.  He really wanted to see me succeed not just going through the motions until it was time for him to try the move.  I really appreciate his patience and effort.

This is one thing that I love about BJJ.  So many people from different walks of life that are willing to help out those who know less them then so they can become more proficient.   I think they were treated this way when they started and so they treat other people this way as they have progressed.

I hope BJJ always stays this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment