Just writing about an Old Guys BJJ Journey.

Just writing about an Old guys BJJ journey. It has been a great trip and I worry if I don't write it down I may forget it.

Monday, October 27, 2014

Knowing when to tap.

We all know that if we want to continue on in BJJ one of the keys is to stay way from injury.  Some injuries will just happen but you can help yourselves out by tapping quickly.

For example today I went with a Purple Belt.  The guy is 20 years younger then me, 40 lbs heavier then me and strong as an ox.  He is a nightmare roll for most people.  I have sparred with him many times over the last couple of years and he has actually hurt me badly twice.  Today during the roll I got his back.  I was working good back game on him and he turtled up.  He then hooked my elbow to roll me.  I would usually roll underneath him and just come back in the same spot but this time when he rolled I went face first into the mat instead of ducking my head.


Of course if you can envision this that means this guy is going to roll right over me and crush my neck as I could not turn my head as my face was stuck in the mat. This is stuff that works in cartoons but not really very well in real life.  Luckily I could see it coming and yelled stop and luckily he stopped.  This was not a conventional move to tap someone with.  This was a neck crank on steroids but not done on purpose.  I think you need to know when your knee, elbow, neck etc are in potential danger and just tap before something snaps.  Part of this comes with experience and part of it comes with not being too concerned about the tap.

Of course it is easier to Tap in Sparring and harder to tap during a tournament but I think it is much better to tap then to risk injury that may side line your for who knows how long.


No comments:

Post a Comment