Just writing about an Old Guys BJJ Journey.

Just writing about an Old guys BJJ journey. It has been a great trip and I worry if I don't write it down I may forget it.

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Today at open mat we had a group getting ready for competition

The good thing about competing is it makes your workouts more meaningful.  I have noticed that when some knows they are working toward competition or if someone signs up for their first competition all of the sudden the moves and techniques have more importance.   The competitor does not want to be embarrassed so they make sure they have the skills they need to compete.  

I am also the President of a swim team.  We kick people off the team if they will not compete   We have to explain to the parents that if they sent their kids to a school that there was no tests how hard would the kids study.   Would they do their homework?  Would they push themselves to understand a concept?   I think you know the answers.   I think the same holds true for Jiu Jitsu and that is why we get a better turnout for open mat the weeks before the Tournaments.  I also think competing makes you better in the long run and will make your BJJ better.  

I am the type that always has a plan.  When I go to open mat I have specific things I want to work on.  When I compete I have a general plan on what I'm going to do.  Do I plan to pull guard or go for the takedown?  Which takedown will I use?   One of the ladies that showed up today and will compete for her first time in two weeks had no plan at all.   All the guys there tried to help her come up with a plan but it seemed to just confuse her.   Here is what I think you should know before you compete.  

1.  You will start on your feet.  Will you go for a takedown or pull guard?   Your answer should be based on two things.  What are you best at?  What position do you want to be in after the move?   If you don't want to play bottom game then you shouldn't pull guard.   

2.   How do you plan to win?   Do you have moves to score points?   Do you need to get them in a certain spot so you can submit?   Are you really good at a certain submission?   What moves or techniques will you use to get to that spot?

3.   Are their places you struggle?  Do you have trouble recovering the guard or passing the guard.  If someone gets you in Side Control or mount or takes your back are you in trouble?  If you have a spot you are week in avoid getting in that spot.  Don't turtle if you can't escape once someone takes your back.   

Have a plan it will make you a better competitor.  


No comments:

Post a Comment