Just writing about an Old Guys BJJ Journey.

Just writing about an Old guys BJJ journey. It has been a great trip and I worry if I don't write it down I may forget it.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

When BJJ Class turns into Cross Fit Class

So last night we had a substitute instructor.  A guy I really  like a black belt that is over 40 and seems to understand a little better how old guys move.  It was a great night for training.  We started drilling at 6 and then at 7 started the regular class.  The class was mostly white belts and a couple of blue belts.  Pretty much the perfect class to go over new moves and learn some basic techniques.

Then one of the Blue Belts,  A young guy super fit who is looking for a position with the Fire Department says he will run the warm up.  I'm thinking we have already drilled for an hour so we are pretty much warmed up, but he showed up at 7 and wanted to run warm up so I'm okay.  We start doing the basic warm up and all is going well until we get to sit ups.  He says we go around the circle picking different ones and we each do 10 of them 100 times.  I'm thinking that is 1000 set ups.  I am sitting next to a Sheriff's deputy in the Circle who is over 40 and we look at each other and think this is not happening.  I ask the young Blue Belt if he is any good at math and if he realizes that is 1000 sit ups and we have people competing this weekend that may not be able to move for a couple of days if we do this.  He tries to play the hard guy (but he is really a good guy that is why I could get away with giving him some crap) and then finally changes his mind when I ask if I made a mistake on my way to BJJ class and I ended up in a Cross Fit class.

Anyway it was all in good fun.  I'm pretty sure if the main instructors would have been there first of all the Blue Belt would not have had us do 1000 sit ups (or really he is just bad at Math and did not realize what he requested would equal 1000) or they would have lead warm ups and I would probably would not have spoken up if there were there.  We had a good time and joked about it later in class.

Have you ever went someplace where they do more conditioning then they do BJJ?

1 comment: