Just writing about an Old Guys BJJ Journey.

Just writing about an Old guys BJJ journey. It has been a great trip and I worry if I don't write it down I may forget it.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

How do you Spar with Women?

Last  night was interesting because when I showed up for drilling there was only Women there to drill.  There was an accident on the Freeway that had the closest on ramp to our gym closed down so I guess only the Women could figure out how to get there on time.  By the end of class we ended up with a bunch of guys there.

Since it was all ladies I asked them who they liked to spar with and who they didn't like to spar with.  (Now these are mostly white belts (one blue belt) and I can tell you that I have had Brown and Black Belt Women come to our place and give me way more then I can handle.  The comments that follow have to do with a specific situation and in no way insinuate that all Women and especially Women of Higher Belts feel this way.)  (Disclaimer out of the way).  They said that they prefer to go with people who will test their skills but not just muscle their way into a position or smash them when they spar.  They also don't want someone who is condescending or patronizing.  They can tell when someone just lays there and gives them moves they don't earn.  They want to earn the position by doing proper technique.  Last night we drilled Bump Sweep and Scissor Sweep.  The Women who attended the drills class seemed to really benefit from it.  I think most Women understand why technique is so important to Jiu Jitsu and that is why more of them show up to the drilling class.  We could probably all learn something from them.


No comments:

Post a Comment