Just writing about an Old Guys BJJ Journey.

Just writing about an Old guys BJJ journey. It has been a great trip and I worry if I don't write it down I may forget it.

Thursday, September 25, 2014

I enjoy starting the day with Jiu Jitsu but more then 2 rolls and I am shot for the day.

I guess I am getting older and my age is showing.  I like starting the day at Jiu Jitsu class but if I roll more then 2 times I find I am not very productive during the day.

This morning I went in and had a good class.  It was all Blue Belts and me there and we learned some technique from the quarter guard.  (off on a Tangent now)  What is your theory on learning Jiu Jitsu?  I have been studying for almost 2 years and it seems like we are going over new moves or variations of moves we have learned in each class.  I find that when I am rolling that I miss certain aspects of the move so I cannot finish it.  Case in point.  This AM I worked on a move that I was taught in Santa Fe NM last week.  I got the back of a younger stronger jiujiterio and then took his left arm in my left hand, hooked my right hand behind his left shoulder and then went for the rear naked choke.  What I forgot to do was trap his arm with my leg so I could finish the move.  When I got choked out the same thing happened.  I was in a cross choke and pushed one arm down and then lifted the other up.  I then moved my hand to cover my neck but I stepped the wrong way with the leg and thought I could pass his guard and boom I am in lala land.  If I would have stepped up with the left leg my angle would have broken the cross choke, instead I was sleeping during class.

I wonder if I will ever get to the point of really being automatic on my moves.  As an older guy being able to anticipate and counter a move before it happens is vital.  Some days it seems like I am going in reverse.  I was thinking about it today.  The guys I started with almost 2 years ago that are still around have improved at about the same level as me.  They have interesting twists to their game that I can anticipate and counter.  On the other hand they are also good at countering my moves.  When we spar we are doing more stuff but basically are in the same battle we were when we started.  What I would really like to see is how I do against the guy who started when I did but quit 3 months in.  I would like to see him come back to see if my game has improved.


No comments:

Post a Comment