Just writing about an Old Guys BJJ Journey.

Just writing about an Old guys BJJ journey. It has been a great trip and I worry if I don't write it down I may forget it.

Monday, September 8, 2014

I love the smell of the Gym.

I have been told on many occasions that the sense of smell is the strongest sense you have and it stays with you longer and triggers more memories then any other senses.  We can all think of distinctive smells that trigger memories.  Hospitals, or things that smell like Hospitals triggers certain memories.  My Grandparents were raised in Farm Land so when I smell Farm Smells it reminds me of them.

Hong Kong has a distinct smell and in fact the word Hong Kong actually means Fragrant Harbour in Chinese (Cantonese).

I think this is one of my draws to Jiu Jitsu.  I wrestled when I was young and in College.  I coached for a while after that.  There is a distinct smell that the wrestling room has and I get that smell when I walk in the door of a BJJ academy.  No matter how tired I am and how worn out I seem to be (I am 53 so I can get pretty Tired and worn out) I always am happy that I made the effort and showed up.  The smell the Camaraderie and the other things about showing up to sweat and roll with these other men are the things that draw me to the sport.  I go 4 days a week and get beat up most days as I attend the mid day class with younger, stronger, heavier, quicker and more experienced practitioners then me.  The treat me I just have no advantage on them.  Most of these guys are Purple Belts, Brown Belts and Black Belts and 20 years or more younger then me.  I am just glad they tolerate me.

No comments:

Post a Comment