Just writing about an Old Guys BJJ Journey.

Just writing about an Old guys BJJ journey. It has been a great trip and I worry if I don't write it down I may forget it.

Monday, September 22, 2014

If you do BJJ you will get choked out sometime.

I try to be quick to tap. I have to say that eventhough I try to leave my ego at the door sometimes it still creeps in,  I don't know about you it is harder for me to tap to a white belt then an upper belt.  

Tonight I was in St. George Utah for the Sheriff's show and I went over to open mat with Jake  Johnston.  What a great guy to roll with and a guy with a great story.  He got his black belt from Pedro Sauer and seemed to be in my mind knowing exactly what I was going to do before I did it and countering everything with technique and not strength.  I was very impressed with his skills.  

Next I was matched with Victor a guy 32 years younger then me at 21 years old.  He was a good roll for me I got a couple of sweeps and he was able to recover guard.  He got me in a cross choke and it seemed a little tight but I thought I had my arm in a place that I was safe.  I passed his guard and the next thing I knew I was dreaming that I was driving and then I heard him ask me if I was okay.  I woke up holding the guy in side control.  I have had dreams of jiujitsu before and woke up to find I was sleeping but this is the first time I was dreaming and woke up to find myself doing jiujitsu.  Being stupid I continued the roll and then actually rolled with a purple belt after that.  

Victor is a good guy.  The problem was mine.  I should have gave his cross choke more respect and not thought I could fight out of it.  I need to let my ego go with all belts.  Lesson learned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment