Just writing about an Old Guys BJJ Journey.

Just writing about an Old guys BJJ journey. It has been a great trip and I worry if I don't write it down I may forget it.

Thursday, September 11, 2014

So I am working out last night and feeling pretty good.  We did technique on a way to get out of the cross choke and also worked on how to defend the choke from the back so pretty basic stuff but always good to remember some of the smaller details that make the difference during sparring and competition.

Then we start to Spar.  Remember I am an Older Guy so conserving energy is vital as well as I don't really like to beat up the guys I Spar with, (something about breaking your toys comes to mind).  I go 3, 6 minute rounds and then this new white belt ask me if I want to Spar.  I say sure figuring I would be able to take it easy.  The guy is smaller framed then me but weighs about the same.  We start and I work a controlling position and then I give him some space to recover guard and then we just continue the roll.  I'm going at an easy pace and all the sudden the guy gets me in a Darce Choke and I tap then shortly their after I am tapping to a Guillotine and then he does a bread cutter style choke from the back and I am totally confused.  I ask him afterwards how long he started BJJ and he tells me that he is new at the Gi but is a Professional Undefeated MMA fighter.  I'm thinking this will be good to know next time we spar,

The lesson learned here is never to get over confident.  Just because you are going against a lower belt does not mean you should drop your guard when it comes to protecting your neck and arms etc.  Next time we spar I will be much more cautious.  I'm pretty sure my neck is going to be hurting the next few days.  

1 comment: