Just writing about an Old Guys BJJ Journey.

Just writing about an Old guys BJJ journey. It has been a great trip and I worry if I don't write it down I may forget it.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Jiu Jitsu at 7000 Feet

So today I worked out in Santa Fe at Santa Fe Brazillian Jiu Jitsu at 7000 Feet let me tell you that you can feel it.  When we started warm up I could already feel the altitude.  There seemed to be a true lack of oxygen in the air.  I was wondering how I would be able to spar at the end of class.  After our warm up they separated us.  All the lower white belts went to another room and the 4 stripe white belts and above stayed to work on some other moves.   I got paired with another visitor a purple belt from. Virginia who trains with Machado who was 25 years younger then me 25 lbs heavier then me and no fat.  We worked on Chokes from the back and let me say the guy applied the chokes hard and fast.  

Then we situational trained for 10 minutes.  One person on the back the other trying to escape to guard or half guard and the guy on the back trying to submit or mount.  Winner stay on.  The line only had 3 people in it so there was no rest.  I was able to hold my own against the Blue Belts and was able to stay in for 3 rounds where it was mandatory to sit out.  I seemed like maybe the altitude problem was over.  Then we sparred. I was pooped.  I only had spurts of energy that lasted about 15 Seconds and then had to rest, stall, defend whatever you want to call it for 30 seconds or longer to catch my breath.  I considered tapping just to rest.  My Cardio has always been good for my age but I got my butt kicked today.  I can see where training at altitude would really help your cardio come tourney time. 

Can't wait to get back to Sea level. Here is my Santa Fe Souvenir. 

No comments:

Post a Comment