Just writing about an Old Guys BJJ Journey.

Just writing about an Old guys BJJ journey. It has been a great trip and I worry if I don't write it down I may forget it.

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

I always look forward to Tuesdays because we drill for an hour before class

I find the time we drill to be very valuable.  It gives me a chance to go over some more again and again and build some muscle memory.  This really helps when you get in a Tournament and the instincts take over.  I have seen so many people who enter tournaments and spend much more time about thinking what they are going to do instead of actually doing it.

I think you need to have a game plan if you want to win.  If you can scout your opponent that makes it easier but that is not always possible.  The best thing to do is have 3 moves from each position.  That means 3 take downs and if you are really good 3 take downs from each grip that he has.  Your response will be much different if the guy grabs a collar, sleeve, or lapel or if he leaves an open spot.  Know what you are going to do ahead of time.

If you get underneath how will you sweep him.  The answer is different depending on how he is positioned.  How will you pass the guard if you are on top?  Will you try to go knee on belly, or mount?  What about taking his back?  Do you have moves from those spots.  Jiu Jitsu tournaments are not pick  up basketball games where you just go out and run up and down the court.  Having a plan will help you to wiin.

That is why if you get a chance to drill take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment